March 3 | March 5 | March 10 | March 12
Advocacy Week | March 8 – 12
AIA Tennessee’s Speak Up! Series has been created to raise awareness of the importance of advocacy and teach members they can use their voice to advocate at all levels of government (local, state and national).
Just because we can’t meet in-person doesn’t mean we can’t advocate for the profession! The Speak Up! Series and Advocacy Week is our solution to the annual Day on the Hill and Legislative Reception.
1. Speak Up! because You Matter
Wednesday, March 3 | 3pm – 5pm CST
- Insider scoop, empowering members to participate in the legislative process.
- Speak Up Kick Off by AIA Tennessee president, Richard Foster, AIA, welcomes attendees, discusses AIA TN initiatives and the member influence on local, state and national policies.
- Demystifying Nashville’s Capitol Hill & Why You Matter – You will hear the insider scoop from a panel on what it’s really like meeting with elected officials and why your voice matters!
2. Speak Up! like a Pro
Friday, March 5 | 11am – 1pm CST
- Meeting Your Public Officials – AIA TN’s Government Relations Chair, Trey Wheeler and AIA National’s Senior Director of Advocacy, shares techniques and tricks on holding effective meetings with your legislative members.
- Making Your Case – Building upon the first session, Trey Wheeler, AIA, TN’s lobbyists and various Government Relations members will present AIA Tennessee’s top legislative initiatives for 2021.
3. Speak Up! by Example
Wednesday, March 10 | 3-5 pm CST
- Join us for an interactive session led by Valarie Franklin, AIA, with leaders from non-profits organizations around the state as they share examples of local projects that have made a great impact on the local community.
- Chattanooga Design Studio
- East Tennessee Design Center
- Nashville Civic Design Center
- The Works, Inc.
4. Speak Up! for Affordable Housing
Friday, March 12 | 11am – 1pm CST
- Creative Solutions to Advocate for Affordable Housing
- Kelsey Oesmann, AIA, leads attendees in an interactive session playing “Game of Rent” – a teaching tool designed to help communities have more productive conversations about affordable housing.
- Alvin Nance, Chief Executive Officer of LHP Development, LLC., discusses the need, the financing resources and the ways architects can advocate for affordable housing needs in their own communities.
Speak Up! Series
Register for any of the four sessions listed above here!
Advocacy Week | March 8 – 12
Registration is now closed. Contact the AIA TN office at 615.255.3860 if you would like to participate in AIA TN’s Legislative Key Contact Program.
Contact our office at 615.255.3860 or email email@example.com.
Photos from Day on the Hill 2019
Thanks to all our members who joined us in the past for Architects’ Day on the Hill!
Visit our Facebook page to view the rest of the photos.